Monday, April 23, 2012

I'm going to be a runner...

... or try to at least.

I've always wanted to be a runner. I've always been jealous of those that could run because I am incapable of it. I was born with bad knees thanks to my father... I have never officially been to the doctor to find out how to remedy my problems, but my dad has. We have the same knee structure and his doctor told him surgery was the only option and he was much too young for that... If he's too young, then I'm really too young. This isn't the main reason why I can't run, but it is a part of it...

The main reason, I suppose, is because my father's side of the family also gave me flat feet. Even when I was 135 pounds and fairly fit, I still couldn't run a mile. I remember when I was a freshman in high school and probably the most fit I've ever been, I decided that I was actually going to try during running the mile for P.E. class. I tried my hardest and I did. I ran as hard as I could but ended up failing. My mile was ran in thirteen and a half minutes. It had to be done in less than thirteen for a passing grade... albeit a D. My problem is that I don't run on my feet correctly and therefore get the most horrible shin splints while running. I honestly think it's because I've never had good running shoes.

Last night, after doing some research, I decided to buy myself a heart rate monitor. After doing some research I determined that I didn't need a Garmin as I doubt I'll ever be a strong enough runner to need a Garmin and if I am, eventually, I will hopefully have the money to buy one then. I bought a Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor. It hasn't shipped yet, but I'm excited to get it and try it out!

I also decided that I need to invest in a armband for my cell. That way I can listen to music or podcasts while I walk/jog/run which will make me less bored. I'm not going to buy this quite yet, but I will be buying one soon...

I asked my best friend if she'd be interested in being my personal trainer when it comes to running. She said, "Of course! Anything you need..." Tonight we're going to a local shop where you can buy running shoes. They test your walking and running and arches and then determine what kind of shoe or inserts you need. I'm hoping I can get out of there without spending too much money... Then my friend and I need to figure out when and how we're going to start my training. She just ran a marathon a few months back so she's a good person to learn from. I just hope she takes it easy on me for a little bit. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was getting a lot of spam comments, so I had to turn off anonymous user comments. Sorry! I love reading your comments though!