Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Day of Thanks

I've seen numerous people on my Facebook feed posting something they're thankful for every day. I decided to consolidate this into one blog entry. These aren't in any particular order really… but these are the things I'm thankful for…

•  My Parents: Obviously I'm thankful for my parents who decided to bring me into this world. I've always been a daddy's girl. My mom was always the disciplinarian so I went through a phase where I was always angry with her, but we've become the best of friends. They've made it through some seriously rough patches throughout their marriage, but I'm thankful that they've stuck through their tough times and made it to thirty-three years of marriage.

•  My Siblings: While I don't always like my siblings, I have always loved them. Both of them have done things in the past to make me incredibly angry with them, but currently, they're both doing very well. Dustin is doing very well and has a great girlfriend. Because of their relationship, I've been blessed with two adorable nieces whom I love greatly! Misty is also doing very well and has blessed me with an ornery, but totally cute niece that I just want to love to pieces (though she doesn't like loves unless she wants to give them these days!)… I'm thankful that they (along with their families) are both in my life!

•  Matt: We've made it through over eight and a half years together. We've had our struggles, but we've made it through. He's a great supporter and would always take care of me if I needed him to, but he also pushes me to be the best that I can be. I love that he tells me I'm beautiful even though I've gained seventy pounds since we started dating. He's an amazing man… I'm thankful that he came into my life!

•  My Pets: Lucky isn't always the nicest cat, but she reminded me just last night why I love her. We were sitting on the couch watching television and Lucky decided she wanted to be loved. She jumped on the pillow on my tummy and started kneading it. She let me pet her and she head-butted me a few times (her way of showing love). I'm thankful for the times when she is like a regular cat and I can love on her. I'm super thankful for my little bundle of Boston Terrier… He was definitely the greatest gift I've ever been given. Sometimes his energy frustrates me, but his unconditional love shows.

•  My Friends: I have some of the greatest friends a girl could ask for. My best friend would move heaven and earth for me if I needed her to… it's amazing that someone who came into my life so late (after high school and college) could become so close to me! My greatest friends from high school are so fantastic too. It never ceases to amaze me how we can go months (and even years in some cases) without talking and in one phone call we're all caught up and back where we used to be. Thank you all for coming into my life!

•  My Extended Family: My extended family is rather large… just on my dad's side. I admit that I'm closer to my mom's side, but only because there aren't as many cousins and aunts and uncles… Regardless, there is a great majority of people in my family who would do anything to help me out and I appreciate that greatly. A few of you get calls from me often (ahem, Uncle Danny) with me asking for something or another and you never say no. I'm thankful that I have a wonderful family to help me out when I need them.

•  Matt's Family: Because I've been dating Matt for so long, I've grown to love his entire family with all of my heart. We may not be family by law yet, but in my heart, they're my second family. His dad is just great and I love that he tried to make me feel welcome from the first time I met him. He makes me smile a lot and I just love him to pieces. His mom is an amazing lady and I hope that as I get older I obtain some of her wisdom and grace. His brother's family is amazing. His brother cracks me up with him political rants and has helped me out when I've had problems with my car. His sister-in-law is just amazing and I wish that we could hang out more often because I always have a great time chatting with her… and his nephews… oh, his nephews… I've watched them grow and they're amazing young men… I'm thankful that they were brought in my life and that they make me feel like a part of their family.

•  My Internet Family: I've always been an internet nerd and I have an easier time expressing my opinions and views online. Because of this, I have made some great friends via the internet. I actually met Matt via the internet. I'm always telling stories about my internet friends… and a few of them have become real-life friends. Without them, I wouldn't be able to express my joys, frustrations, and whatever else comes my way, and I thank them for always listening to my ranting and rambles and everything else.

•  My Coworkers: Along with this, I'm thankful for my job… My boss tries to be a bad guy, but I know he's really a good guy deep down and I enjoy bantering with him. The rest of my coworkers are a crazy bunch of people and I love each of them for various reasons that I'm not going to get into on here. There's too many of them to start on that, but I've made some friendships that I wouldn't have had before…

•  Soldiers: I have known many soldiers because of my time in JROTC in high school. I'm thankful for each and every one of them who fight so that I can be free. I'm thankful for my high school friend Chuck who always knew he wanted to be a soldier and then died defending his country. I cannot believe it's been eight years since he's passed. I'm thankful for my cousin Daniel who has served several tours and has grown to be an amazing man. I'm thankful to the soldiers that I don't even know who have fought for me.

•  Money: I'm thankful for money… when I have it. I'm a giving person and I enjoy seeing people's faces light up when they open my gifts. I'm thankful for the bonus that my boss gave us all yesterday. I was able to buy myself a few things that I had wanted, and also have enough money to buy some amazing gifts for family and friends. I'm also thankful for the money that I get every two weeks from working. Without that money, I wouldn't be able to survive.

•  Technology: I love technology. I've already touched on my love for the internet, but I also love music and movies and television. Those of you who are close to me know that I watch a lot of television… a lot. I love being transported into another world. I get invested in the characters and it's ridiculous and amazing at the same time. I'm thankful for the musicians and actors and actresses and producers and production crew and everyone else who is involved in putting together a music CD or movie or television show. Thank you!

•  Books: From a young age, I've had a love for books. My mother would ask me to go clean my room and find me hours later in the closet with a flashlight reading. Because of my love for books, I have an aspiration to become an author and I would like to have a book published sometime in my lifetime. Along with television, books transport me to another universe and I love when something can do that for me. My imagination thrives by being thrown into another time and another place and by seeing it as another person.

•  My Health: While I am overweight, I'm overall in pretty good health. I have a few things that need to be worked on, but overall, I'm healthy. I don't have cancer or any disease. I'm strong and my heart is beating and I'm alive. I'm thankful that while I do have a few medical issues, they're mild and treatable. I'm thankful that my doctor pressures me to be a better person and because of her, I'm on the track to becoming a healthier me…

•  The Planet: I am amazed by this planet. The sun, the moon, the stars, the clouds, the grass, the trees… snow, rain, tornadoes, hurricanes… the good and the bad, this is an amazing place. I'm thankful that it's Thanksgiving and it's going to be a warm and sunny day. I'm thankful for the seasons as I enjoy watching my surroundings chase so drastically every few months.

I have a great deal of other things I am thankful for, but I need to go get ready to leave and hang out with Matt's family and then mine.

Thank you all for reading this and for being in my life in one way or another!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was getting a lot of spam comments, so I had to turn off anonymous user comments. Sorry! I love reading your comments though!