Monday, October 1, 2012

September Foodie Penpal Reveal

The Lean Green Bean
This month, I received my package from Valerie over at LiveFit Journey.
What I love most about my work is that I live only four blocks away. Because of this, my mailman at work is also my mailman at home. I was sitting at my desk doing normal daily work when the mailman came in and said, "I have a package for you. I didn't want to leave it on your porch at home because it looks like it's going to rain." YAY MAILMAN! :) So, I ripped open the package and found:
My note says:
Hello! I know you are on a journey to weight loss so I wanted to give you some snacks I enjoy. With clean eating it is important to eat every 2-3 hours and always have a protein and a carb. I sometimes will have the popcorn with almonds or the plantains with trail mix. If I want to snack at night I will have the tea. I also ♥ dark chocolate. Enjoy. ♥ Valerie
Luna Protein bar - Chocolate Peanut Butter
I immediately opened up the Luna Protein bar as I hadn't eaten breakfast yet and it sounded amazing. It was just as delicious as I imagined it would be. I mean, you can't really go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter together... in about any form. :)


Trader Joe's Roasted Plantain Chips
I have never had a plantain chip in my life. I loved that the ingredients list was so short - just three items - plantains, sunflower oil, and salt. I was curious as to whether I would like these or not so I decided to take out a serving and have a little snack. They were pretty dang good. I think they would be better if they were mixed with maybe some granola and raisins and other things, but on their own, they were still delicious. They tasted more like a potato chip than a banana chip, but they were still yummy!!!

Trader Joe's Lite Kettle Corn and Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds
Okay, so Valerie's tip on this was that she sometimes mixes these together for a snack. I took a serving of the almonds and poured it into the bag (a single serving) of the kettle corn to have a delicious afternoon snack. I would totally do it again... though it makes me sad that the nearest Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to me is in Indianapolis which is about three hours away. Bummer.

Trader Joe's Fair Trade Organic 72% Cacao Belgian Dark Chocolate Bar
This bar says it is an intense, full bodied dark chocolate made from fairly traded cocoa beans. I'm down with that. I LOVE chocolate and recently I discovered how much I actually love DARK chocolate. I had to try it so I broke off a piece and was surprised to find it delicious. At first I thought it put off an almost beer-like taste (I'm not sure why), but then I just tasted yummy dark chocolate... The second time I tried it, I didn't catch any of the beer-taste so it must have just not meshed well with whatever I ate before the chocolate. I feel like I should point out that I am from east central Illinois. We eat meat, and a lot of it, and there aren't a lot of vegetarians or vegans or even clean eaters in this area. It's really hard to find just plain organic food in these parts so I'm always surprised when I eat something organic and it's delicious... like this gigantic chocolate bar.

Trader Joe's Specialty Teas Mango Black Tea
It seems like Valerie really knows me, although I didn't really tell her any of this stuff, but I LOVE tea and I love teas with citrus flavors in them. My absolute favorite tea is green tea with honey and lemon. It's so yummy and warm on cool fall/winter days... Anyway, I decided to try a cup of this delicious tea by itself the other morning with my breakfast. It was awesome just the way that it was which is amazing... usually I have to sweeten my hot tea up with sugar. I'm glad that I have a whole box of this yummy tea to drink as the weather changes to fall and everything gets colder. Hot tea is my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was getting a lot of spam comments, so I had to turn off anonymous user comments. Sorry! I love reading your comments though!